I'm no expert, but my experience, such as it is, says that well set up
canti brakes have better modulation than V brakes which, like all the 3
sets of BB7 discs I've used, tend to be "snatchy" -- tho' this is all more
of an academic discussion point than a real problem. That is to say, the
grabby nature of V's and cable discs is noticeable but not problematical.

Yes, I agree, cable hangars are a pain, and I personally have always hated
setting up cantilevers with road bars and levers. That said, the best
brakes I've ever used, bar none -- and this "none" includes everything from
cable disks thru Altenberger dual pivots to Dura Ace centerpulls to
Bowden-cable-rod-brake hybrids -- were the IRDs wide profiles set up by Riv
on my erstwhile Sam. Braking paradise; after I sold that bike, I had to
come back to merely earthly braking performance.