IMO waterproofness is good but not absolutely necessary. I rode a
century in an absolute downpour last year. All my stuff in a decidedly
non-waterproof Minnehaha pannier stayed dry, except at the bottom
where road splash did soak through and dampen some of my extra
clothes. This was what I would consider an extreme condition.

A friend of mine is planning to roll through his 500,000th mile this
summer. He has done many long tours. His approach is to never ride in
the rain. If it rains during a tour, he finds a place to wait it out.