On Apr 5, 5:03 am, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery <thill....@gmail.com>
wrote:
> IMO waterproofness is good but not absolutely necessary.

I would add that this depends on where you live. I'd guess Minnesota
has more dry days than Oregon does.

I've tried a number of panniers and keep coming back to these:

http://citybikes.coop/buckets.html

We've been making and selling these for almost 20 years. Lots of folks
make variations on this design (most notably in our region, the Cobb
Oyster Buckets, which have some differences in the handle and lid
functions but otherwise work just the same and last just as long). We
source our buckets from various food vendors around town, clean them,
add hardware and decals and voila! Instant pannier.

My first pair lasted about 12 years before they were stolen. They were
replaced with a "custom" set about six years ago, courtesy of a co-
worker who knew I liked blue:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bethness/3296262962/

-- they are still going strong.

I like Bike Buckets because they are sturdy, waterproof (well, unless
you throw them in the river, because water will seep through the shock-
cord holes, but yeah, otherwise they keep everything really dry), and
carry a lot of stuff easily.
And they last for ages.

True, they're not for the bag matcher set; but on some level I still
think they're quite Rivendellian.