I agree that $4k is a bargain for a custom bike, especially if your intended
use includes commuting/utility cycling. Good luck owning and operating a car
for that price.

The reason my next bike won’t be a Riv is a variation of your option E - I’m
interested in heretical technologies. I’d like to experiment with a Rohloff
drivetrain, Gates belt drive, and disc brakes, all of which offer potentially
compelling advantages in my soggy part of the world. I dig my Hunqapillar, but
I keep a browser tab open on the Surly Ogre...

Jay Lonner
Bellingham, WA

Sent from my Atari 400