I’ll agree with that Steve.
I can imagine situations where having a rear wheel lock up would be quite
stressful and dangerous, even if you were able to maintain control.
Riding in heavy traffic and crossing major intersections are two situations
that are easy to think of.

Btw- I do still run fenders on some bikes. One of my takeaways was to
increase the frequency and intensity of my “bolt checks”. Failure is always
in the back of my mind and frequently I will stop to give a tightness check
if those thoughts are disrupting my flow state.

Robert, SLC