I took my first gentle ride about 7 weeks after surgery.  Until then I was
walking (lots) and doing the post-surgery exercises that had been prescribed.
My surgeon said I could do 2 things wrong regarding activity:  do too much or
do too little.  I chose to get physical therapy and really focus on a proper
gait, and strength and flexibility exercises with the guidance of a
professional.  I recommend that even though my surgeon didn’t require follow-up
PT.  I’ve slowly added time and distance to my daily walk and have been extra
careful not to over-do-it on the bike.  Congrats on your new hip!  I hope your
recovery is going well.