Leah, a couple years ago, we got my son a Kindle, I was a bit perplexed because
he already had a tablet!?
Well, he reads a lot! And he wanted the Kindle because, they are allowed in
school & regular tablets are not. Also, he was reading so many books that they
were rapidly stacking up around the house; he was going to the library,  but
even they were challenged to provide a steady stream of the things he likes. So
we plunk down the money, he uses it for a couple months, but then it gets stuck
in the corner. Why? Well, as it turns out e-books are not cheap! Sure, there's
plenty of free "classics" but many times the books he like would be the same
price as the hard back or more? And quite frequently we could get a coupon for
the physical book making it cheaper!
Or, second hand copies cost almost nothing.
Now he still pretty much reads constantly, but he typically just reads stuff on
his phone. He reads translated versions of Japanese light novels (sorta like
Manga without the pictures) & he's found some websites that carry oodles of
that stuff.
So, now the Kindle sits on a shelf, kinda feels like a missed opportunity!?
😐