I've been riding my Franklin Reynolds 531ST custom from from '99 a whole
lot lately..... man I like that bike. I had the 62 c-c frame made with a
62cm TT and 46cm chainstays. I originally used the Dirt Drop bars from
Nitto but now use an Albatross 56cm steel. 36/46 Origin8 crank and Sachs
7sp. 13-32 freewheel.

 speaking of big tires and all ... well riddle me this Batman how this bike
literally just floats over patch paved and cruddy washed out gravel roads
with not so fancy 33mm Forte Metro ST tires that were about $15 .... and my
Bombadil regardless of the tires I've used even at very low pressure is
jarring as heck ? Exact same wheels builds on both. It's also easier for me
to maintain my line and speed with the road bike up steep washed out
backwoods gravel roads also, corrections are wholly intuitive and
effortless. Watching the fork flex like crazy over bumpy roads is also fun
!

I could only "guess" it has a whole lot to do with the tubing and it's
design I suppose. Regardless, it's great and even though I've not yet
received my Suzie it has me rethinking the whole thing. I "hope" the Susie
is a whole lot more vertically resilient than the Bomba. But those Hilly
frames are a once in a lifetime "try" for me though. If not, I'll have
another road kinda bike made. Does Reynolds even make 531 anymore ?

Also, a wider tire is just wider, not necessarily better or worse. I love
narrow tires as I grew up riding them so it's quite intuitive for me. I
rode many a pairs of Specialized Touring Turbo 27x 1/8 or 1/4. Those are
what I knew as "road tires" even before I got into road racing tires which
were even narrower. There is such a distinct feel, a precision that gets
lost in wider tires from all the bikes I've ridden. I've tried some wider
tires on my road bike and it just felt odd. It seems pretty obvious to me
that a frame that is quite compliant doesn't need overly wide tires to ride
"soft" and cushy.

Then there's the simplicity of double crank and the ease of which to throw
on various parts. I also had cantilevers put on the frame and use Suntour
XC Pro's, and they are outstanding, I've never had such a effective brake.
It's also darn light to me, even with the heavy duty Phil/Mavic wheels that
are on it.

Hooray for road-tire bikes !