The Franklin sounds intriguing; can you post a photo?

Your experience may well be due to tubing differences; I know that my
Matthews, built from thinwall, heat treated stuff compared to the
excessively stout tubing of the original Fargo, and with a delicately
shaped "French" curve instead of the Fargo's girder legs, rolls smoother
over small bumps -- washboard, eg -- with the same wheels and tires. But
tires and casings and widths and pressures can also cause this sort of
difference.

My own experience with tires fat and skinny -- from 19 mm (labeled; this
was at a time when I naively thought (1) skinnier was faster; (2) labeled
width was the actual width, and (3) labeled max press was the best press)
to 65 mm actual width (60 mm Big Apple regulars on 50 mm SnoCat SLs) -- is
that tire pressure, casing, and width all play a tortured, complex, and
often inscrutable ballet or fugue or minuet together, and that -- wala!! --
sometimes fatter tires feel **harder** than skinnier tires, and sometimes
thinskin, supple tires feel **harder** than thickwall utility tires. I'll
explain.

I'll start with an anecdote. For years I rode 26" X1" (559 X 22 mm actual
on my skinny rims) Specialized Turbos at 110 psi, later, wising up,
reducing that to 80/90 f/r. **These felt cushiony and smooth** as long as
you were riding over chipseal or small cracks and not our 6" to 8"
expansion cracks. OTOH, 35 mm Fatboys pumped to sidewall max (try that with
a Blackburn Airstick, 1990 model!) bounced you around on all but the
slickest pavement. Even reducing the Fatboys, and later similarly wide
Kojaks to 50 psi: sure, the 35s (32 actual) handled big cracks better, but
over rough, worn pavement? Nope, the 22s were at least as smooth if not
smoother.

Reasons? Well, suppleness for one thing, but also, tire pressure tradeoff.
The 22s at ~90 were so skinny, as well as supple, that they "gave" at each
little bump. The downside? Pinch flat and rim damage if you hit something
too big too hard. I personally am a delicate rider and never got pinch
flats on those tires, even with 40 lb rear loads (broke a spoke or 2,
though, with aluminum nipples and Revolutions). The Kojaks were smoother
than the Fatboys, but to get the same cush, you had to reduce the pressure
to almost -- **almost** -- wallowy softenss. 32 mm Paselas, light 240
grams, even worse; soft and they bounced; no bounce, and they jarred.

I recall swapping the 60 mm Big Apples, thick stout things, for very supple
Furious Freds (60 mm/50 mm, 900 grams versus 360 grams. 800 grams for the
BA "lite" model) and being disappointed that the FFs seemed to be as harsh
over bumps as the BAs. The reason was that, with the paper-thin sidewalls,
I had to pump them to at least 18 psi, while I often rode the BAs with
thicker sidewalls at 15. The balance between "soggy" and "harsh" was a
difficult one to achieve.

I switched to 60 mm Big Ones -- 90 grams heavier than the 50 mm FFs at 450
grams. Again, pump them hard enough to not lose control on fastish pavement
corners, and they are surprisingly harsh over bumps -- the minimum is about
18 psi, tho' I usually run them at 19-21 for less wallowing in pavement
corners.

Upshot of all this driveling: you can put fat tires on a bike and pump them
to the minimum psi to prevent wallow or bouncing, and you may find that
this minimum pressure makes them harsher than you'd think, to the point
where, in certain situations, a 32 mm supple tire at a pressure just high
enough to avoid bouncing or pinch flats actually feels softer over certain
bumps than a fatter tire at a lower pressure.