Funny, I've been wondering the same sort of thing with my Hillborne. In the
dozens of bikes I've owned over the years, none have had this magical
ability to just gingerly float over everything like the Hillborne.  I had
the exact same build (incl wheels and tires) on a Soma Grand Randonneur
previous to the Sam, and while that bike rode nicely, it did not have this
quality. My Clem, despite much larger tires, does not have this
quality--and both have nearly identical CS lengths (455 vs. 460).

The only thing left that it could be are the seat stays, but it's hard to
imagine that they're doing this much. It has to be a culmination of a bunch
of small contributors, I expect.