Deacon,

When you say 'try bowing out', I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean
bending the stay so that it is parallel to the face of the dropout? This is
essential for proper stay attachment, it reduces all sorts of stress along
the stay and at the fender.

I did a four-part blog series on metal fender installation. It's a long
read, but if you wanted to skip most of it you could just take a look at
part IV, installing the stays.

https://somervillebikes.wordpress.com/2020/03/01/how-to-install-metal-fenders-part-i-achieving-a-proper-arc-radius/

Anton
velolumino.com