Doug, you have put your finger on the problem exactly.  Yes, chainstays
have gotten longer, tire clearance wider (than 52!) and geometries have
been tweeked, but as you ask:

 "what would I want that my Atlantis doesn't do?" and have never come up
with a good answer. "

What we poor humans face is a situation where the ego wants wanting more
than it wants having.  As soon as we have what we want, we start wanting
something else.  Shiny objects abound!

To be clear,  RBW has brought forth a great many innovative products in the
past 30 years and new bike buyers are getting great value for their money,
especially because these bikes will still be a joy to ride in 2040.  I wish
GP blessings and am so glad we own three of his creations.  That said, I
can't come up with even half a reason to replace the Ramboulliet, Saluki,
or Betty Foy in my garage.

Just Ride,
Michael