I think that Grant is maybe brilliant, and was a significant influence in
moving the bike industry and product offerings towards more practical
products that better fit the needs of non-racers. I wouldn't be comfortable
saying he has a better understanding of bike design than any other living
individual. That's a pretty tall statement. No disrespect meant to Grant at
all, and it's not like I can rattle off the names of other
builders/designers who I think have a better understanding of bike design.
I mainly can't wrap my head around how you'd even begin to analyze and
quantify that.

Grant moved the market by focusing on product and meeting an unmet demand.
He recognized the disconnect between what bicycle market segments had
become, and what kind of product would actually be practical and fun for
non-racers to ride. His first product move in that direction wasn't a
radically new design, it was a modern revision of a 30yr-old+ market
segment: a relatively lightweight, performance-oriented road frame that had
better tire clearances and more relaxed geometry/handling than a typical
contemporary road/race frame, without the extra weight and stiffness of a
traditional touring frame. That market segment in the production bike world
had mostly disappeared, and Grant brought it back to life.

I don't want to minimize that in the least, because it took vision to see
that, and cojones to bring something to market that almost no other product
manager thought was missing, or that even had a place. But it also didn't
come out of nowhere. People were still riding '70s-era Cinellis, Mercians,
Raleigh Internationals, Schwinn Paramounts. Custom American builders had
built lots of sport-touring frames through the '70s and into the '80s, and
a lot of those bikes were still around. Grant's contribution was seeing
those designs not as a dead end, but a way forward.

Grant and his products have come a long way since then, as has the bicycle
market as a whole. I don't know that if it wasn't for Grant, no factories
would be building drop-bar road frames that fit tires wider than 28mm, or
be spec'ing production road-ish frames with flat/upright bars. But he
certainly got the ball rolling, and demonstrated there was demand for
non-racing bikes that weren't ATBs or hybrids.

And bringing it back to his business model, in relation to his product, he
certainly knows his customer base, and he knows how to reach beyond it a
bit as well.

Paul Brodek
Hillsdale, NJ USA

[snips]