I know what you mean about the freehub thing, as just last year I finally
decided to own rear wheel with a Deore freehub. I was and am still using
Sachs 7-speed freewheels and Phil hubs. I have plenty of FW's but I wanted
to try the 12-36 9-speed cassette. How is it ? Brand new they lacked much
grease and were badly overtightened, but a good bunch of grease in there
and proper adjustment it works perfectly, *and it's quiet*, just like my
Sachs hubs. What I dislike of most freehubs is the noise that almost all
but the Shimano and I believe the Velocity ATB hubs exhibit. Putting cards
in the spokes was alright for about 1 minute as a kid, then off they went.
Sheesh what was I thinking ?!! Maybe those kids that thought the noise was
cool grew up and are designing the freehubs of today .... hah !  How about
a "stealth" version, if you're so smart !

Here's some trivia for all us kids from back in the day .... and science
fiction for all the rest !  There's a Bombastic surprise in there
somewhere, when I saw it I did a double take .... "Hey I have one of those
!"

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/58191/11-ways-kids-used-soup-their-bikes