It seems many of the points I would raise to answer your question have
tactfully been answered my most other members.

Having owned a CX check and the Hillborne I will echo that I was more
comfortable and more satisfied with the ride quality. I never loaded up my
Sam with bags for a short tour as I did with my old Surly but I have no
doubts it would perform well over the same set of surfaces.

Perhaps the only area I feel like the CX check outgunned the Hillborne was
pushing the bike's limits on singletrack trails. I believe the more
robust-feeling threadless stem, stiffer tubing, and larger diameter steerer
tube contributed to the confidence of the CX check compared to a tall quill
stem on my Riv.

One last thing I enjoyed about the Riv is the people I met through the
bike. I had more curious people approach me to talk about it than I ever
did with my cross check. I did enjoy many of those brief conversations with
strangers interested in my handsome tuxedo black Hillborne than I ever did
with my old Surly.

In short, I don't think you would go wrong by switching to the Sam.