I agree with a couple of points here.
First the idea and reality of trying to get another bike to be like a cheaper
Rivendell. I've had limited success with this as well; a CrossCheck, an old
650B Raleigh Mountain Tour, Kogswell PR and a Rawland Drakkar. Out of all of
them the Rawland came the closest and actually was better in some ways. But, at
the end of the day I would have saved myself tons of aggravation (& money) bu
just biting the bullet and getting a Rivendell!
I also chuckled when I  read the part about riding "ON" a CrossCheck. That's
exactly how I would describe it! One thing to keep in mind, but just going by
the name it's obvious the CC was conceived as a cyclocross frame. As a result
it has a shortish top tube, higher bottom bracket,  short chain stays, etc.
It's debatable whether it's dumb luck or pure alchemy that it excels at so many
other uses at all!
Actually, with a few more years experience under my belt I likely wouldn't do
the CrossCheck again if I was making a budget choice. I'd go Crust Bombora or
possibly a SOMA? The Saga and Wolverine's are intriguing options as well.