Thanks Benz. It's tough to tell exactly where the pops and creaks are
coming from but it seems to happen only during hard pedaling and kind of
feels like it's coming from the left (non-drive side) crank arm which is
attached with hex bolts. The whole crankset has always annoyed me, mostly
aethetically with this hi-tech look, but I haven't bothered to tinker with
it too much.  You're right–the Xtracylce extension could be part of the
popping and creaking as well since it's attached pretty close to the crank
area. I'll try to do some further investigation especially now that I know
a crank replacement will require more than just a swap-out.