The Ram was intended for lightish touring and it does that well. Handling with
any kind of front load depends a lot on the handlebar type and stem length
used.  I toured with the stock Nitto Noodles. I used a Mark's rack with
P-Clamps and a small Baggins bag with up to 5 lbs in it.  I also used a Duluth
Candy roll handlebar bag for lightweight, want quick access to stuff, like lip
protector, my phone, etc. Mostly, supplies went into 2 Nashbar panniers on a
lightweight aluminum rear rack. That was to keep the center of gravity lower.
Rain jacket and pants, helmet cover was in a large Baggins bag on top of the
rack.  I had a Keven's bag under the saddle with tire change stuff.  The bike
was a little rear heavy that way. handling was fine, but picking up and
carrying was different. I have almost always ridden the same 32 mm Paselas that
were original issue.

These days, that bike is re-configured as my Townie/Sunday Cruiser but still
has a rack in back and a Baggins bag on top.

Bruce