I did no touring with my blue model, but I did carry many sizeable rear
loads (Tubus Fly rack in case it makes a difference) and the Ram performed
well with rear loads up to about 35 lb. More than that and the handling
started to get a bit "wandery" but it did as well as the 2003 custom, which
probably had stouter tubes, that I am presently debating whether to keep or
to sell. IME, it's not always the stouter-tubed bikes that carry loads --
at least rear loads -- best, but those that have the right combination (I
suppose) of tubing, geometry, and of course a good rack.