I think the polishing on the rims is AFTER the anodizing, to clean up the
braking surface, overall that doesn't sound unreasonable for the extra
charge, it's the base rim charge which seems sorta steep, but I guess they
can get it. Rim brake rims are getting harder to come by especially in
650B, tubeless 650B rim brake rims are even harder to find, especially in
wider widths.  All in a Good Rim brake rim is gonna be 100 bucks a piece
these days; by contrast I've gotten Carbon Fiber Disc Brake rims for that
or very close to it. As time goes by these Retro builds are getting harder
and more expensive to pull off. I've got a box with 20 threadless stems in
it, but only 2 or 3 quill stems.

Yes Leah, I prefer a rear rack too, but as hard as it is to pop my wheel
over an obstacle it's a lot easier on the cargo.  With a rear rack every
time you hit the smallest bump the contents on the back go flying I've lost
so many things that way.even with the bag zipped closed things will find
their way out of the smallest opening.  I rode a rear rack for 20 years on
the back of my XO-1; when I sold it to the new owner he expressed his
desire to take it off and though he finally did, he confessed it was just
about perfect on that bike. But a Portuer rack on the front IS rather *nice*
and possibly a bit more versatile.  Great for basket mounting and a nice
wide platform for carrying stuff.  The main draw back is getting over the
aforementioned obstacles and front wheel flop, but Hey nothing is perfect!
I have the Rawland Demi-porter on my Rawland. (nice huh?) and a SOMA on my
VO Polyvalent and they are both great. now, many people they basically use
the rear rack as sort of a Seat bag support; OK understandable, especially
if you put heavy stuff in there, but, you could easily go with a different
style of rack entirely, especially if you are just putting light stuff in
there. I think it's the Nitto R-10(?) that has adjustable side struts that
I've seen people run to different (higher) mounts on the frame back, which
is a good compromise.

I've been riding anodized components for almost 40 years and true they *can
fade & do fade*, but it's mostly a problem for bikes left outdoors in the
sun & rain.  Wouldn't last long locked to a pole in NYC, but then your bike
wouldn't be there long enough to worry about it.  If you are worried about
it, I would suggest compensating, by going with a darker color. I have a
bunch of HOT Pink Nipples (get your mind out of the gutter! (*for spokes*))
and I am sure with time they will fade to a nice rosey pink color! On a
bike that's always stored indoors in a fairly temperature controlled
environment it shouldn't be an issue really.