On 12/7/20 3:59 PM, Leah Peterson wrote:
Mark, you were under the impression because you voted for and coined the term “racing Platypus”! 🤣 And I *jokingly* went along with it, but who can tell over text? No, I always planned for my 2nd bike to be lighter and not meant for hauling (but I still think of it as a racing Platypus, though I’ve taken to calling it The Rowdy Platypus since it doesn’t always behave). BUT, the thing is, it’s tough not to have carrying capability. I wanted to shed my puffy down vest the other day and was forced to sweat in it all the way home because the Platy had nothing to take it from me.

Exactly the reason all my bikes have bags.  About that down vest, though: one time when it was 20 degrees out (yes, midwesterners may mock and scoff, but for metro DC 20 degrees F is damned cold, about as cold as we ever see) I tried wearing down while riding a bike.  It didn't take 2 miles before it became roastingly hot and sweated through - and when down, real down, gets sweated through it becomes pretty much useless.

I can think of times I’ve been on a date with JP in my MIL’s little lake town, and if I wanted to bring something home from a boutique or restaurant, how would I do that with no bags? I don’t want to be limited to my Clem for most of my rides, though I adore it.

So, I’m compromising. I’ll get the light R51 rack and use it to support a Small Saddlesack in gray grid, which arrives today. Little things like keys can go in the Banana Sax  in front and items like a hand bag or u lock can go in the Saddlesack. Adventuring and exercise = Platypus. Shopping, commuting = Clementine.
--

Steve Palincsar
Alexandria, Virginia