Carl at Tuolomne Bikes indicated his rear disc is a captain brake and his
stoker gets to operate the rear rim brake.  He says one of the reasons is
to delay the wearing out of the sidewalls of the rear rim.

I'm not super worried by the rim-wear part of it, but I think that would be
a swank setup and it may be the move.  I'm one of those who believes
hydraulic actuation is flat out superior to cable actuation, and in my book
if you are going to bother to run disc brakes, it's kind of obvious to me
that the desirable move is hydraulics.  I think the longer a cable run
goes, the worse the brakes feel in your hands.  Cable actuated front brakes
feel fantastic, perfect, in the hand.  Rear brakes on a single bike, a good
mechanic can set them up to feel pretty OK, acceptable, and all that.  A
cable actuated rear tandem brake should be the worst feeling brake in the
stable.  Hydraulic actuation is the perfect solution to a really long
housing run, I think.  The captain's right hand will feel as connected to
the rear brake as their left is connected to the front.  The stoker will
have a nice short cable run for the rear rim brake.  So, in summary this
switch would put the captain in control of much "more" braking, would
radically improve the hand feel of the captain rear brake, and would give
the stoker a very solid auxiliary brake to use only as needed, relegating
any rear rim-heating and rim-wear to extreme situations.  With a normal
brake lever the stoker can use more of a 'pump' method than a 'drag' method
so as to manage rim-heat build up.  I love that idea.  It's another
win-win-win.

I've reminded myself that the HubbuHubbuH does in fact have hydro-tubing
guides all the way up to the captain.  I just need to check my roll of
hydro-tubing to make sure I have enough.  Swapping the brake levers between
captain and stoker would be a ~1 hour job.  When my guest-stoker comes over
we may take it out one day, then do the swap and take it out again the
next, and see what we think.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA