To Patrick's point on tubing, I get the sense that today's Rivendell "road"
tubing is practically yesterday's "mountain bike" tubing.  Looking at the
CHG's engineering print, for instance, it's a 1.1-0.8-1.1 31.8 downtube and
0.9 25.4 top tube (ovalized). Not sure on the rear end. But you could build
a touring bike with that tubing by older standards.  If I were placing a
bet, it would be that this bike will use the aforementioned tubing that the
CHG is.

I love the simplicity of a singlespeed, and how you quickly adapt to just
pedaling and not thinking about gear changes... but I can't justify one in
our mountainous region.