On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 at 2:54:09 PM UTC-7 Joe Bernard wrote:

> Does that stuff really work without messing up the paint? When I clamp a
> toptube in my work stand I use an old t-shirt wrapped around the tube to
> keep the brake wire off the paint. Easy on, easy off, doesn't stay on the
> bike when not needed.

Helicopter tape is basically a thin and clear polyurethane tape with an
adhesive backing. Allegedly, it was invented to protect helicopter blades
from impact damage (presumably smaller objects). For those of us who don't
see too many helicopters, it is more commonly used as protection on the
front of (usually expensive) cars to prevent paint chips from stones and
such. If I have a carbon-fiber mountain bike, I'll probably apply it where
rock chips are likely to hit, like the underside of the downtube, not to
protect the paint so much as to prevent impact damage to the carbon fiber.

It'll do fine preventing paint scratches from hanging a bike by the top
tube, although in my experience, it'll likely bunch up when solidly clamped
with a workstand (the polyurethane material is malleable after all). The
adhesive is not strong enough to prevent "creeping" when high forces are
involved, because 3M paint film is designed to be removed without damaging
paint, by using a heat gun or hair dryer. The adhesive is good but isn't
permanent.

Just search for "3M paint protection" or "3M paint film" on eBay. For
Roberta's use, this may work. <https://ebay.us/jcF21D>