I assume SON, like everyone else nowadays, is using LED lighting.  These
require circuitry other than just a pair of wires running to a battery or a
dynamo to provide the correct voltage to the diodes such as semiconductors
to amplify and/or limit the voltage levels.  If there is a failure in the
semiconductors in that light, you will get the kind of flickering or
intermittent illumination described.  I have a few lights in my
refrigerator that flicker like that and my electrical engineer son ensures
me that it's a problem with a circuit board somewhere in the fridge.