SON hubs can have internal problems. I have had two of them, disk-specific,
same wheel, that have stopped working.

When they did fail, it was immediately obvious due to a prominent buzzing
noise. That noise stopped when the hub was disconnected. Both were on our
tandem. In one case the light output was nil, the other was dim and
flickering.

Peter White handled both repairs without issue. He said the failure was
something to do with the coil inside the hub.

We have another SON on a second tandem, also disk brake, that has been
trouble-free.

Ed Felker
Washington, DC