'The Long Walk' has been identified as a fictional account by the BBC and
others-- I enjoyed reading it very much, but, in retrospect, learning that
it is largely if not entirely fictional, I have no desire to re-read it.
As a historian, I can assure you that while an oral history can be very
interesting, it is not generally regarded as reliably accurate.  In my
research, diaries or chronicles are highly prized; memoirs not so much.
 'The Long Walk' is probably fabricated (no corroborating voices or
documents).
A good read that was written at the time of the event and has been
corroborated is, 'No Picnic on Mt. Kenya'... a group of Italian
POW's escape their camp in order to climb Mt. Kenya.