One more, foolish to forget it as I'm reading it now: The History of the
Conquest of Peru by William H. Prescott; I also have his History of the
Conquest of Mexico. These were written IIRC in the 1840s, but Prescott is
truly a professional historian using scrupulous research in the Spanish
colonial archives. He also has a very keen critical eye and a very eloquent
literary style, precise but very, very engaging -- wonderful. It has been
over 40 years since I last read these and I'm glad I found them again on
Kindle.

Of principal interest, to me, though is his thorough and careful
description of the ancient Andean and Mexican civilizations -- polity,
economy, arts, transport, military and religious as well as architectural
and urban--that, with the Maya and Olmecs and others that only recently
have been found by archeologists were in many respects bigger and better
than European cultures of the time. He makes much of conquistadors'
amazement at their size, sophistication, and beauty -- not that material
civilization is the ultimate criterion of human development (the Sioux or
Masaai were hardly savages).