I can lose the weight of two complete Rivendell spec complete Clems off of
my body, and still be overweight, so saving grams off of the bike and low
spoke counts are not as important to me as they were back in the seventies.
So why does my Gus Boots Wilsen have a titanium stem and handlebars? And I
do own a Park bicycle scale and know the weight of my 1971 Gitane before
and after I applied Weigle frame saver. I can feel the difference when I
put lighter tires on a bicycle, but when people start talking about frames
"planing", I get that same feeling that I do when artsy types try to
explain why a painting that consists of two black dots on a canvas is a
work of genius. And for proponents of tubeless tires, what in the world is
a pinch flat? In my 50+ years of riding derailleur equipped bicycles, I
have never had a pinch flat and am not really sure what one is. A flat is
what happens when a thin steel wire from a worn-out steel belted radial
automobile tire is picked up from the pavement by my bicycle tire and
penetrates the tube. We all have a way of determining what and what is not
important to us, and it is not necessarily consistent or logical.

Laing
lives in Florida where we don't have any type of native stone - all stones
are imported.