On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 1:55 PM lconley <lcon...@brph.com> wrote:

> ... So why does my Gus Boots Wilsen have a titanium stem and handlebars?
> And I do own a Park bicycle scale and know the weight of my 1971 Gitane
> before and after I applied Weigle frame saver.

Man! I thought I was bad! (Though I'm far less pathologically obsessed with
weight than I used to be, thank God, tho' the gofast does still have a Phil
ti and not steel bb and yes, a ti stem binder bolt.)

... when people start talking about frames "planing", I get that same
> feeling that I do when artsy types try to explain why a painting that
> consists of two black dots on a canvas is a work of genius.

I was of your opinion until I got the Chauncey Matthews clone: I had him
copy my 2003 Curt Goodrich Riv Road custom but in .8 .4 .8 standard gauge
531. Curt had used some doubtless high-end but oversized and, presumably
thick-walled tubing. The Riv weighed -- I just posted that. You've heard me
say this *ad nauseum *(pron. "ahhd NOWseeeaahhm) but I'll say it again: not
only did the clone not feel like it was "bogging down" as the 2003 often
did, but it felt faster than my hitherto *ultima Thule* ("OOlteema
t-HOOlay") 1999 Riv gofast custom, with almost exactly the same geometry
and almost identical wheels and truly identical (at the time of comparison)
tires. So, it wasn't the geometry, it wasn't the riding position, it wasn't
the wheels, it wasn't the tires;* ergo, per remotionem* (ayrgo pair
raymohtseeOHnem) it was the frame, ergo "planing." Right?