Another vote for a basic wired Cateye. Started using them in college and
never felt the need to change. Have a journal where I write down the
mileage at the end of each year and to add any important notes.

Also, I don't ride enough to really justify anything more. And I enjoy not
having my cell phone easily at hand while riding. It's kept in a pouch in a
bag on the bike. Either handlebar bag or a kangaroo pouch on a Sackville.

All this reminds me that I need to swap out batteries for this year's
riding season.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN