Agree on full size pumps versus minis but on my commuter it makes sense to
reduct the appealing things that attract pilfering. Oh yeah, weather too.
We have that here. I ran a pump behind the seat tube on my yellow '86
RockHopper (before the NORBA geometry infection). Just be sure to have the
handle end up/chuck end down when in the position as a fender.

https://groups.google.com/g/rbw-owners-bunch/c/jBXQT-GxqgM/m/qTmqnCM4DQ
<https://groups.google.com/g/rbw-owners-bunch/c/jBXQT-GxqgM/m/qTmqnCM4DQAJ>

Pictures:
https://groups.google.com/g/rbw-owners-bunch/c/jBXQT-GxqgM/m/sIjgQGXKDgAJ