Echoing Bill and Joe, it depends on which criteria are important in your
value calculation for a particular set of circumstances.

I went to great lengths to find (out of production but soon to be back in
production) Paul brakes for one of our bikes. It felt appropriate and
justifiable, even “necessary”. And they’re great. No regrets.

In contrast, I was going to install a new set of Paul cantis on another
bike but instead, I sold them, telling myself that my relatively cheap
Shimano cantis were just fine, and that the Pauls weren’t worth it. So I
sold the Paul cantis at a slight loss to lighten my parts hoard. It’s
really subjective.

I chuckle at myself when I consider that I have no problem paying serious
money for Rivendell frames (they’re worth it!) yet I sometimes balk heavily
at the cost of components. After all, why should I spend, for example, $xxx
on a fancy rear derailer when I can buy a $25 Altus that works “98 to 100
percent” as well as the fancier ones, according to Grant? Well, I got a
fancy RD for the same bike on which I retained the cheaper brakes.

Ultimately I don’t have a consistent algorithm or a set decision tree to
figure these choices out. The Pauls were more than worth it for one Riv,
but for another Riv they didn’t seem to be. Kinda whacky of me, and
amusing.