As someone who likes to fiddle, I find the adjustability (read: fiddliness)
enjoyable. I like supporting small businesses, especially in this industry
and despite the bling factor, I do think Paul Components has some great
ideas. Designing all their brakes to run the same V-brake pads is nice, as
I'd only have to stock one type of pad for all my bikes. No return springs
in levers = a simpler mechanism, one less thing to break down, and one
fewer variable in adjusting brake feel or "snappiness". Once you get a hang
of their coil spring setup, you're good to go. Cool colors are fun. I could
also add readily-available replacement parts/fully-serviceable components
as another plus, but a full "rebuild kit" for one brake is often times more
expensive than a full set of new off-the-shelf V brakes or Cantis, but it's
at least good to know you'll always be able to repair them, even if it
costs a bit. I've got no doubt that my Paul brakes will surely outlast me,
barring availability of replacement bits here and there.

This part is more aimed at the constantly-fiddling tinkerers like myself,
but there's also resale-factor. You can get nearly a 100% return on your
investment on the secondhand market, especially if you pick them up used.
You can always pick up boutique parts to try them out and hock them for
little-to-no-loss if they're not quite what you're looking for. That
doesn't matter to everyone, but it's a plus for me.

The brakes and levers are great. The thumbies are cool if that's your cup
of tea. Never tried the seatposts or stems, but I am happy with regular
forged posts and quill stems and I usually look to Nitto for that sort of
thing. At the end of the day, boutique components are only "worth it" if
you like them and feel good about your purchase. Cheaper brakes will stop
your bike just fine, just like a cheaper bike will still get you from point
A to point B, but many folks willing to shell out for a Riv also don't mind
paying the "Paul tax" to support a small brand and get a cool, shiny piece
of gear to add to their bike. I say give it a go and if you ultimately
can't cope with the expense, there's surely someone here who will happily
take them off your hands.

-J.C.