Wow, what an old thread. :)   So old one of the links points to my long
dead QB page on att.net.  My QB photos are on Flickr now
(https://www.flickr.com/photos/14612032@N00/albums/72157711338025308/page1),
and I'm not even sure my old green one (RIP) is in that album, but I did
run 44 Mutanoraptors without any issues.  I use mostly 38s now after a
series of recurrent flats on 32s.

I have run the 38s with old planet bike fenders, but the setup with a three
speed drivetrain was awkward.  I'm thinking maybe SKS speedrocker
detachable fenders, which I'm using with good effect with 38s on my
Specialized Diverge.
Cheers,
John Gorham
Union Bridge, MD