Laing indicated that their understanding " is that the PDW tabs are to be
used on the front wheel if only using on one wheel for safety reasons".

The majority of people who buy those tabs separately use them on the
front.  Note that all Portland Design Works full metal fender offerings
include those tabs on Front and Rear.  You are correct that there may be
less of a safety risk on the rear, but there is still nothing wrong with
using them in both front and rear.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA