Thanks for reviving this thread! I started at the beginning, and when I saw
Clayton’s post, I looked at the date. “Ahhhh… that makes sense.”

You revised your question to ask about max fender widths.
I run 52mm aluminum Velocity Orange Zeppelins over 38mm RH tires on my 2004
green Quickbeam. The fenders are crimped a bit to pass between the chain
stays, but not at the seat stays or under the fork. I like the longer
coverage for the chain in front, and I like to be able to wheel the bike
around vertically on the rear tire. Setting the rear fender up normally
shouldn’t need any crimping.

I just changed my 37mm tires to these 38s, and had to flip a mounting bolt
for more clearance under the
bridge: https://www.instagram.com/p/ClkhqIjr9oU/?igshid=MWI4MTIyMDE=
The new tires freshen up the bike, and I should probably straighten or
replace the decade-old stays and add PDW releases:
 https://www.instagram.com/p/ClKbS02PGoN/?igshid=MWI4MTIyMDE=

I would not put a bigger tire under metal fenders on this bike. Without
fenders, my biggest tire was a 45mm Smoke  with the side knobs cut off. The
hassle there isn’t worth the reward to me, and a (~43?) Bruce Gordon
Rock’n’Road is as big as I’d go in the future.

Philip
Sonoma County, Calif