Wow, that CX bike is incredible. Did you ever hear from anyone else with a
fillet-brazed Bontrager cyclocross bike?

To stay on topic - cutting the sweep ends off flared drops is inadvisable,
and the Portola bars are very similar to the RM-3s, Midge, and original
WTB.

I had a LeMond for a while with Portola bars. that was stolen.

Here’s a $20 Midge bar in SF:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bop/d/san-francisco-on-one-midge-bar/7560429801.html

Philip
Sonoma County, Calif