I believe Watson is hoping to find a wheel (Chris King hub, actually) with
an 8-speed cassette already on it, which might explain his phrasing.

My Riv uses a WI hub with an 11-speed-sized freehub, it comes with a spacer
that you put on first if you want to install an 8/9/10-speed cassette.*

* Now to muddy the waters. A lot of wide-range 11-speed cassettes actually
fit like an 8/9/10, the big cog is lipped over to fit on 8/9/10 freehubs.
On my bike with a SunRace 11-50 11-speed cassette I use the spacer. Not
confusing at all! 😂

Joe "more information than you need" Bernard