Wesley - thanks for that info.  It explains why we have had the closures of
certain grocery stores in our area that have ultimately been taken over by
larger chains, but retained their original identity.  But many of these
"overtaken" groceries have eventually declined in product availability and
produce value over time, which makes me wonder what the intent of the
larger "take over" chain had in mind to begin with.  Unless their strategy
may have been to take over all of the subordinate chain stores (required by
law, as you say) and gradually ferret out the money losers as time goes
along, eventually closing some of those stores and keeping others open.
I'm sure it's a difficult market strategy.