Personally, I've cut only a few of my own steerer tubes and being tall I've
even needed to leave several stock length anyway, but one trick I've since
discovered and applied to my last threadless build was using one of the
expandable compression bolts/top cap assemblies meant for carbon forks so I
could do plenty of test fitting and shakedown riding before full commitment
with cutting & pressing a star fangled nut.

I also had picked up one of those problem solvers adjustable spacers (two
halves thread together to adjust overall stack) with the intent of being
able to use it for headset compression without any top cap.  I'd Install in
it's shorter state within the stack of spacers and unthread after
installing the stem and bars for the necessary headset adjustment.  For
this latter example, I certainly wouldn't plan to do that while leaving
excess and uncovered steerer jutting above the stem since that just seems
like an accident waiting to happen but because several of my builds had
long headtubes/require the long steerer I've often needed to begin with
stem installation at max height anyway and then test to determine whether
any cutting is even necessary.  It would work ok in that scenario, I think,
but that last build I did had a replacement fork with the longest steerer
I've had to date at 400mm, or maybe even 450mm, so I was able to
pre-emptively cut those first several cm's off and then went with the
expandable compression bolt until settled on stem/bar height and was ready
to set a star fangled nut.

Enjoy your Gus!

Brian Cole
Lawrence NJ