How often have you worn out a rim completely from rim brakes? I can tell
you the answer for me: exactly once.
I owned a Bridgestone MB-3 from 1993 to 2007. In its first year I rode it
in Seattle, where a dry ride is one in which you submerge only one hub. I
carried spare brake pads on every ride, and I would wear out brake pads
every other ride. I rode in conditions where the BB would die after 3
months and the bike shop would comment that "we don't warranty bicycles
that have been treated like submersibles." After that year, I moved to
California and rode that bike in all conditions as well. Having said that,
it doesn't rain that much in California. it took 14 years before the rims
on the original bike wore out. By then I'd given the bike to my brother and
he bought new wheels for it.

For all my other bikes (which also see all weather use), I see multiple (as
in more than 10) brake pads use before I started using dental calipers to
measure the rim. I still have yet to wear one out. Most of the time if I
have to retire a rim it's because of a dent in it or other physical trauma
rather than brake pad wear. Sure, I live in California, but I ride year
round and I tour with my bikes in places where it rains. By contrast, my 7
year old has already bent a brake rotor on his Woom 4 beyond repair and he
doesn't weigh 60 pounds!