Thank you, @Brian Turner

@Ian, I rechecked the tire carefully for splits and structural damage.
Nothing.

@Patrick Moore, tubes with 36 patches!?! I'm very impressed. That reminds
me of the Ship of Theseus paradox: if a tube has so many patches, is it
still the same tube, and if it is not, at what point (i.e., which number of
patches), did it cease being the original tube and become something else?
:) Didn't all that patching cause a lumpy ride? As far as tube sizes, I
have historically been pretty lax about matching tube size with tire size,
and I haven't had trouble over the years. Bigger and smaller, they worked
ok. In this case, though, the tubes were in the right parameters for the
tires, except for the last narrow one I used. All of the tubes were fresh
and new, nothing old that could have deteriorated.

@John P in SF, I was going to ask how you prevent a tube from rotating on
the rim until I saw that your solution was to go tubeless. Tubeless is a
nonstarter for me at this point because I don't feel like buying yet
another set of wheels. All of my wheels are tube only. Plus my inner tube
habits die hard. Also, I wasn't doing any hard braking. The flats happened
on level pavement at a moderate pace.

@Jim in Rochester NY, interesting that additional pressure solved your
problem. I was running normal for me pressure, medium, like I always do.

@iamkeith, your idea of using the nuts inside and outside makes so much
sense. I will try it. It's consistent with what Rich Lesnik suggested to me
separately, that valve holes can be sharp and cut the tubes. He suggested
that I check the tape near the hole. It's plausible in light of the fact
that the tears were all in the same place on the various tubes.

So I will try the two-nut method, attempt to file or sand sharp edges or
burrs on the valve hole itself, and check the liner tape.

I'll report back here. But first I need to restock my spare tube supply
just in case!

Thanks so much to all of you (and to Rich!) for the feedback and help. I
very much appreciate it.