On Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 8:41:29 AM UTC-4 rmro...@gmail.com
wrote:

Garth, of course nothing you say here is wrong, it’s simply not the same
for everyone. And I know you know that. I am a 68 year old lifetime
cyclist. I’ve been through many drop bar bikes and though my last one
(Custom Richard Sachs) was easily the best, I was never truly comfortable.

This is a timely topic for me. I'm about to turn 61 and, until last spring,
I thought I had dialed in my perfect bike fit. Doing a fair amount of yoga
starting in my 40's really helped my flexibility and core strength, so I
ride with a pretty low, flat back. I use pretty deep drop bars (mostly
Noodles), set the tops a bit below the saddle, and spend a lot of time on
the drops. My personal cubit is how I check seat-bar distance, and the
backs of my handlebar tops at the stem have always been 2-4cm ahead of my
fingertips.

When I was spec'ing out my new Sam, I spent a long time on stem length and
finally decided to go shorter. This is also relevant to the previous
thread, as the Sam has a much slacker seat tube angle than my other bikes,
making it a bit more challenging to translate fit from the other bikes.  On
the Sam, the bars are just a few mm ahead of my fingers. I was worried this
would be too cramped, so it was a bit of a revelation when I found it was
comfortable and still allowed plenty of breathing space. Thinking about it,
I realized that it was logical that my seat-bar distance would need to
shrink a bit. I have pretty severe osteoporosis and a couple of compressed
vertebrae, so my torso length is shorter than it was 5 years ago.

So, yeah, everybody ages differently, but we all age and need to be aware
of how our bodies are changing and how that impacts position and fit on the
bike.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI USA