Hahahaha, teens is cold.  Just some New England humor there.

For those temps on my commute, lobsters are definitely where it's at.  The
Pearl Izumi newest version is not so great.  I have the older, bulkier ones
and they are warmer and better.  Try Craft or my favorite budget lobster
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/203227893253?hash=item2f51538e05:g:hoAAAOSwGrhf453W&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4ARfF5%2BT2FnTYDfrbR%2FQAZhwqb%2B27pOHA%2By2wN8GNicw2rFvbtq%2B7Sr%2BwqYTDGMdOFjY117jvv6W8zCN2HGN5S2n77YlM2u5rqVS39s7LFLZ%2Bf7HCOi%2FnbFJI6Kird45G2x7jHrlMxQnAUNRK54oyh7O6Be1EAldIlpQfK9xUR1F7GFOcxfTEt%2Baoci0iDEQMhZYGg7Hh4xz1Ko40UlcMBJwBZyafOqQjAAW0xMTC8CoUwO6iC1287v47WJM6V94dsZqKjXWIRY2p%2FIlFIVcXCfmSqM%2FpggknLckF1c0WLTI%7Ctkp%3ABFBMtMz629ti>.

I buy these in multiples because my children lose them, riding to school.

I had my mother knit me a lightweight pair of wool mitts - really close
fitting - that I wear under overmitts when it's colder / wetter.  I think
you should work with your OR overmitts and try various lighter weight
innards.  I bought a set of military surplus wool gloves that are a great
liner for slightly warmer temps (that's my 20-25F setup).

You basically want a lot of dead air space without bulk filling up that
space.  So either synthetic lightweight insulation or a light liner and
that air in your overmitt is your insulation.

Will near Boston, having recently discovered that the seatpost on his
winter commuter is totally frozen in place....