I recently installed 48 mm Soma Supple Vitesse SL 48s on my Matthews "road
bike for dirt" and they "feel" as if they roll as well as the absolutely
wonderful-roller ultralight (450 gram) 60 mm Schwalbe Big Ones that
Schwalbe claimed at one point where their fastest rolling tires, bar none,
including racing tires. The SL model seems no longer made but they still
make the K model, with puncture belt, is still available for about $60 and
has a very good rolling reputation too. The SLs measure 51.5 mm on my 27 mm
IW Blunt SS rims at 23-25 psi, about 5 psi more than I put in the Big Ones.

Highly recommended. I mount them tubeless and use Orange Seal Endurance.

The SSVSLs not only roll very well but they gave this bike the handling
that I had always wanted it to have: as close to that of a Rivendell road
bike as possible given the fatter tires and somewhat offroad geometry
(71.5* head, 55 mm rake); no more fast-corner slight understeer and
slow-corner vagueness as with the Big Ones and even the squarer profile and
also ~50 mm Schwalbe Furious Freds. The downside is that compared to the
Big Ones and even the F Freds the bike tracks noticeably less stably in
sand -- the front wanders more -- but that's a price I'll pay to get
crisper handling on the pavement that makes up half of my riding on this
bike.

As for flats: I use super light (175 gram) 28 mm RH Elk Passes and
extralight (300 gram) 42 mm RH Naches Passes on other bikes and I ride
securely amongst the goatheads with Orange Seal Regular in the lightweight
(70 gram, 100 gram) 26X1 and 650B X 42 mm Schwalbe tubes)

On Mon, Oct 2, 2023 at 9:26 AM Ted W <ted.l.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I’ve had tires on the brain this last week. I was thinking I might want to
> try something a little narrower on my Appaloosa so I’ve been a bit absorbed
> with that thought.
>
> At the moment I run the SimWorks Super Yummy tire with the black sidewall
> in 29x2.25”. I previously had their 26x2.25” tan wall tires on a 26” build
> and absolutely loved them on that bike. Unfortunately, in the larger size,
> with the sort of riding I do (spirited, urban, all-road) I find the tires
> sluggish and a bit unpredictable at times. Combined with the 25mm wide rim
> I use, the tires measure to close to 60mm wide.
>
> I was thinking about trying to find a tire with a more rounded profile and
> something that would be a bit narrower, somewhere in the 44-48mm range to
> start.
>
> I’ve been looking primarily at the Rene Herse tires. I have a friend who
> runs the Pumpkin Ridge (650x42) tire on his bike of a similar purpose and
> absolutely loves them. I’ve used the Naches Pass (26x1.8) on another build
> and also liked them a lot, but found that despite being the “endurance”
> casing, they were very prone to small punctures and didn’t handle the
> typical road debris around where I ride very well; this is one of the
> reasons I’ve typically stuck with knobbier tires.
>
> The ones on my short list are currently the  Manatash Ridge (700x42) and
> Oracle Ridge (700x48) tires from RH.
>
> I’m curious to know and see what others on the list use and have liked. If
> you have pictures, I’d also love to see what they look like (particularly
> 42mm on frames like the Appaloosa).
>
> — Ted

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/CANCvShpuLg6sNR2_6dZVVGm%2BVa9WfG_5Ec6rE%3DLpSu9%2B5JGXPw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/CANCvShpuLg6sNR2_6dZVVGm%2BVa9WfG_5Ec6rE%3DLpSu9%2B5JGXPw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Patrick Moore

Executive resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, letters, and other writing
services.

*When thou didst not, savage,*

*Know thine own meaning, but wouldst gabble like*

*A thing most brutish, I endowed thy purposes*

*With words that made them known.*