I rarely agree with Leah (*) but I am one old-school rider who also likes
his saddle slammed back and his gears high, and I blame Grant. I used to be
a spinner -- would maintain 20-22 mph over distance in a 64" gear, back
when I was a pimpled 40-something -- until I started ordering bikes from
Rivendelll and complained that I felt as if I was "losing power at the top
of the pedal stroke," particularly when torquing up hills or into winds.
(There were also handling problems from my, then, habit of riding
seat-forward, bar-forward-and-down.) Grant said: Move bar up and back and
move saddle back and down, and so I did. Much better for climbing, but it
also made me into a masher, this probably helped by age.

On Riv frames with 73* stas, I used to use a rubber mallet to get my Flites
as far back on my favorite, fairly setback, DA 7410 seatposts.

I don't do this any longer -- I've moved my first edition Flites forward by
about 5 mm -- But I have to say, I have no desire to go back to that
forward riding position.

(*) Kidding, of course, and I daresay Leah could hardly care less. Saddle
position apart, Leah, that's a pretty bike, tho' I recommend grips to match
the saddle.

Patrick "over and out" Moore