Hi Nick,

The Woom is a great bike. But there are other good kid bikes too. As for
what will work for your kid, it probably depends on his/her size and how
comfortable they are on the balance bike already.

I've got a 3.5 year old kid. For reference, he is smack-dab right in the
average sized, 50th percentile of the CDC weight/height for age and always
has been. He was riding at 3 years and 2 weeks old (he'd gotten a Woom 2
for his 3rd birthday). The Woom 2 has been a great beginner bike, but it's
true that he's already gone up on saddle height in the last few months, and
I can see him outgrowing it by his 4th birthday. Of course, we bought the
bike used and they have good resale, so I don't mind selling/upgrading,
etc.

We were on vacation a couple weeks ago and rented a Trek Precaliber 16. He
had no problems at all riding it at his age (again, normal 1-meter tall 3.5
year old). It took him a few minutes to figure out the coaster brake
because he is used to hand brakes, but in about 2 minutes he'd figured it
out. So, I think a 16 in is a reasonable investment if your kid is already
3 and a half and is on the normal to tall side.

Hope that helps.

cheers,

John