My just-turned-four-year-old has only been interested in the small balance
bike for a month or two, but now he's advanced to zipping around quite
quickly and easily.

So, I started looking into Wooms and Clearys here in the Los Angeles area.
A shop advised me that while the Wooms are lighter and have lower standover
height, the Clearys use a standard threadless stem, so you can replace the
stem as the kid grows to get a bit more time out of the frame. Haven't
tried it myself, but an interesting thought! We have another kid on the
way, so I may just go for a used Woom 3 and hold onto it for the younger
one.

Great to read all the helpful advice here! I really appreciate it.