Jay - I didn’t call the Surly a beater, just my commuter. I know it's a
nice bike. It’s very utilitarian and bombproof, I just like riding the Rivs
more is all. I like the idea of using the Surly in the salty months. I
thought about that too. I’ve not needed studded tires over the last few
years. I’m fine riding on the snow and then it seems to mostly melt off in
a few days. Some patchy ice but I've dodged much of it successfully thus
far. I guess it's one of the positives of global warming…doesn’t snow much
here anymore.

Patrick - I love the idea of you popping in pushing your bike…one freehub
paw click at a time

George - Those are good points and there's a lot to be said about just
riding a cheap but pleasant commuter to work. It makes sense to do, I’m
just leaning toward not doing the sensible thing. I also didn’t say Indy
was 1st world, sometimes I hear more gunshots here than I did on my two
tours in Iraq, I do think that posing the question of “which $3k bike
should I ride to work” does fit the bill as a “complaint or fairly minor
problem associated with a relatively high standard of living”, aka 1st
world prob. Maybe I should move to Denmark…

I saw Kai’s mustard Clem H in Leah’s bike makeover thread and it got me
questioning why I had these killer bikes sitting in the garage while the
Surly gets all the work. Then that Cheviot in the Craigslist thread, oh and
don’t get me started on Pam’s mixte. I like the Surly, don’t get me wrong,
but it’s no Atlantis. I love seeing people’s well-used Rivendell bikes.